Monday 30 May 2016

Online Rakhi Shopping To Strengthen Bonds Thicker Than Blood

In this age when careers and designations define who people are, it is no surprise that we tend to prioritise our careers. The story is the same for a man and a woman. Indian society too has woken up to the fact that people opting for a high flying career need to forsake valuable time spent with family. But who is family? Is it only our blood relatives who can be called your family or are there ties and bonds that run thicker than blood?

If I was fifteen summers younger I would have to scratch my head and dismiss the idea that blood ties are what makes someone family. But today I am proud to say that I don’t believe this anymore. I am the only child of my doting parents. But in spite of all the love and material comforts that they have showered on me, I felt a deep vacuum in my life on BhaiDooj and Rakhi. I was at one point of time even jealous of my friends who had younger or elder brothers and were spoilt rotten on rakhi.

I would see my friends shop for rakhis (sometimes even a silver rakhi) that would eventually adorn the wrists of their brothers. It so happened, one evening, fifteen years ago (when I was a confused teen) that my father’s colleague and his family paid us a visit. Mehra uncle, as I used to call him, was the proud father of a ten-year-old son and little did I know that that evening Rahul’s visit to my house along with Mehra uncle and aunty would fill this vacuum in my life forever.

I still remember how I bonded with Rahul and vice-versa that evening. A month later was Rakhi and on the eve of RakshaBandhan (as the festival is sometimes called) I asked my father sheepishly if I could invite Mehras over for dinner and celebrate rakhi with Rahul. My parents and the Mehras instantly agreed and I thus began celebrating this festival with Rahul.

Today, Rahul lives in Dubai with his wife and two children and that has not stopped me from online rakhi shopping and sending rakhi to UAE. A bank manager in the largest city of UAE, Rahul and I often speak to each other over the phone and we make it a point to meet at least once each year, either in Dubai or in Bangalore, where I now stay with my husband and two kids.

Before I discovered www.giftalove.com/rakhi it was a task (a task I loved doing nonetheless) for me to go online rakhi shopping and find something useful and gift-worthy for Rahul. But now all I do is type in the address and voila! I know that I will surely come across a rakhi or gift packages or both to be sent to Dubai. For example, this year, I have already decided to gift Rahul a silver rakhi with designer rakhi thali surprise.

I am more than certain that while I am sending this rakhi to UAE, Rahul too is busy selecting a gift for me. But more than the gift what counts for me is the time and the thoughts that he would put in. God might not have gifted my parents a son, but He did bless me with a brother. True that blood is thicker than water, but my bond with my brother runs deeper, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment